Thursday, September 16, 2010

Copper Canyon Grill

We have visited the Copper Canyon Grill in Boca Raton several times and each time we walk away with mixed feelings.

The service is great and always has been. Up until tonight they seemed genuinely concerned as to if we liked the food or not. (No one asked tonight.) Robert, our server tonight was very good though he didn't pass the straw test. Okay, I'll explain. I like to drink soda without a straw. Most often the glass is handed me the first time with a straw in it. The observant server will notice that I take the straw out and when they bring the drink back after refilling it, there is not a second straw. This time I ended up with 2 straws on the table, unused and unusable. Also the observant server will see when you are done with a drink and bring another glass immediately. That didn't happen either. He did bring me another drink later and it was before I had to ask for it. On the other hand, he had a good conversation with Carol to ensure that she got her steak cooked the way she liked it.

Carol had a rib eye steak with canyon mushrooms on top, with smashed potatoes and sweet glazed carrots. The steak was cooked perfectly and quite tender. And the sides were quite good. I had the chicken pot pie. I have had it before. The first time we went to this restaurant that is what I ordered. At that time I was quite shocked because it tasted like they had poured a bottle of hot sauce in it. It just seemed like two tastes that were not meant to go together. The pot pie was good but it was too spicy for me. When the manager asked how the meal was I mentioned that. He asked me if the server warned me that it would be spicy and I said no. So that night I got my dinner for free. That was a nice touch. We have had other meals in the past and found none spectacular. So you may wonder why I ordered the chicken pot pie a second time. I read in the newspaper that the restaurant had made several changes and that they had a new chef. When we went there the last time we had a discussion with our server and he said they were not putting so much spice in the pot pie any more. So I gave it a second chance... It was still quite spicy. Not quite so bad as the first time but let's just say I will not order it again.

So, while we really like the atmosphere and the service there, and we really want to love this restaurant, so far we have had only one REALLY good meal and the rest have been mediocre. Will we go back again? We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment